Pages

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

By the the river's edge...





Daily, Hubby and I
scour old maps for a
a new trail we've heard of,
or one not trod recently
where dream
landscapes can reset our clocks
for an hour or so, allowing us to
forget achy backs and sore knees
as though we left them asleep in bed, where rain
wind and
pesky news interrupt  our rest so often.


Hope-blown-scarlet leaves
swirl around a wild apple tree
with no known name
as the impeding rain
hurries us on. I take a bite, and fail to recognize the taste.

At the grocery store, before driving home, we look at Fuji apples
all smart and perfectly arranged
(how the wild apples
sprayed  my gums with alacrity,
daring me to like them, to find them again...)
we gather four perfect Fuji
for  our return
to the warm home
and  measured life of polished fruit
and porcelain smiles.


14 comments:

Hilary said...

It sounds like the perfect way to spend some time. I like that you do this together.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

That's lovely, Rosaria.

Tom said...

Nice ... if only "dream
landscapes" could "reset our clocks ..."

Kerry said...

Growing up, there was an apple orchard on my parent's Wisconsin farm. I don't know what they all were called, but here are a few: Transparent, Baldwin, Golden Russet, Wealthy, and Gravenstein. They were sometimes kinda wormy, but they tasted great. This was a lovely poem. I have Fuji apples in a bowl in the kitchen right now.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Rosaria .. lovely thoughts to find new trails in the mind .. to travel with Marco Polo and the other great explorers, or just to espy new much shorter paths near home.

Wild apples to new varieties .. we've changed our lands .. cheers Hilary

the walking man said...

I relate to the want for the wild and the settling for the easily attainable. some times the knees or backs or necks or whatever joint is not smoked only allows for a trip to the fruit aisle and not around a new corner or beach path.

Rob-bear said...

Delightful, rosaria. Hiking to get rid of aches and pains. Thats me too!

Blessings and Bear hugs!

Maggie May said...

Hiking to get rid of aches and pains....... love it!
Maggie x

Amanda Summer said...

This poem is Zen like in its clarity and simplicity. Beautiful.

Grandmother Mary said...

I like your juxtaposition of the wild of nature with the polished of every day. Good for you for finding those less traveled roads.

Journeyin' Lady... said...

Your blog today was smooth and easy to digest....easy as eating an apple!

yaya said...

I think I'll enjoy exploring some new paths after my knee replacement this Dec...actually I'm getting both replaced. Nothing better than visiting something new for a lift..but then you experienced something old..like that apple and also got a lift...hmmmmm...life is like that and you wrote beautifully about it! Have a nice Thanksgiving Rosaria!

RNSANE said...

Such a nice welcome with your very visual poem. I will be glad, for a little while, to return to cooler climes and California scenery to "reset my clock" which keep ticking away. I'll return to India, barring infirmities, in May.

Dr. Kathy McCoy said...

Loved walking this way with you, Rosaria! You paint such a vivid, senses-rich picture of moments in time. I so enjoy your posts!